share buttons

Monday, April 8, 2013

Grandpa Jux and the Singing Michigan Pen

Julius, whom everyone called Jux, was my dad's mom's dad, my great-grandfather. I never met him but have been told that he was a funny, funny guy and that he and I would have gotten along well. Grandpa Jux loved his family and took my dad and his brothers on special one-on-one outings when they were kids. Also, he was a huge fan of his alma mater, University of Michigan.

I was in town visiting my grandparents one time when I was about fifteen and my grandma had recently received a bunch of pens from a friend. They came in different colors representing various colleges and would play the college's fight song when the top was pushed. She planned to gift them to friends who attended the colleges.

My grandma, Jux's daughter, goes to visit his grave on his birthday and on the anniversary of his death. I don't remember which one, but one of those days fell during my visit and I decided to tag along. Before leaving, I had an idea: We should take a Michigan pen to Grandpa Jux's grave! My grandma thought it was a great idea and off we went, pen in tow.

During our visit at the grave, we pushed the top and played the Michigan fight song for Grandpa Jux. I then noticed the holder at the top of the grave designed for flowers. I pushed the button and quickly set the pen into the holder, letting the song play. My grandma and I both got a kick out of that! She says she now takes a Michigan pen with her every time she visits her father.

Kansas is my family's main men's basketball team. But they're out of the tournament and so are both teams from my home state. Tonight, it's Michigan versus Louisville. I think you can guess who I'll be rooting for! Grandpa Jux would be very proud of his school!

No comments:

Post a Comment