share buttons

Saturday, December 9, 2017

Several Days a Week


I see you several days a week
Those days you can hitch a ride
I wish I could just squeeze you
And say everything will be alright

But alas if I attempted such a feat 
For one, it’d make you mad
And also I’d be lying
Because I really don’t know what lies ahead

Life’s unfair, I hope you know
You don’t deserve this fate
I want you to see you can have a future
But what if it’s too late?

The woman who birthed you is not a mom
Of that you should be aware
I don’t know why she chooses him over you
But it’s so horribly unfair

There’s more to life than hospitals and school
One day, I hope you’ll see 
All kinds of opportunities await you
And you can be whatever you want to be

But to reach that point, I’m sorry to say
You must first survive this mess
And the meltdowns and the anger
Are challenging your path to success 

So here’s my prayer for you, my boy
As you travel through this life
I have such high hopes for you
Despite your path of strife

Stay strong, be a friend, and act like a sponge
Take in all we have to teach
We’re not here to fight with you 
We want to see how far you can reach

You love to draw and you’re good at it, too
Did you know people pay for that?
I could see you as an artist, a builder 
You are made for such a craft

For now, though, you’re ten
And your job is to be a kid
You may not think much of me
But every day I hope for you

No comments:

Post a Comment