share buttons

Saturday, May 23, 2015

Red Sand and Mud

I wrote this for my AP English Language and Composition class in 11th grade. I believe the assignment was related to a poem we read in class but I don't remember the details.

Red Sand and Mud

I’m from Velcro shoes and monkey bars
From riding bikes in the street until dark
I’m from two percent milk and pretzel sticks
From sunscreen and bright colored socks

I’m from Mavis Beacon and Putt Putt Moon
And from tennis at Highpoint with Dad
I’m from the mulberry tree and the hiking area
From the red sand and the mud

I’m from play dates and swimming lessons
From the parks with their appointed names
I’m from Lunch Bunch and Campfire
And reading in the den with Mom

I’m from family Shabbat dinners and religious school
From the ’87 Camry and the bomb
I’m from library cards and state quarter collections
From snow boots outgrown before being worn

I’m from moments long gone
And memories that are distant
I’m from a simpler life that is behind me
From times I can just remember

No comments:

Post a Comment