share buttons

Thursday, April 9, 2015

When All My Clothes Were Play Clothes

Sitting under the shade structure supervising children on the playground, I think back to when I was that age...

I miss when all my clothes were play clothes, when school clothes and exercise clothes were one and the same. I miss being able to play on the playground at a moment's notice without worrying about whether my hair would stay out of my face, because it was already so short, or whether I had the right shoes on, because I wore athletic shoes every day. I miss the creativity to turn the play equipment into a ship and the thrill of a slide that even the frequent shock of static electricity at the bottom couldn't hamper.

But alas, now I'm an adult. No longer do I run, chase, and climb all throughout the day; now my main exercise comes from my four hour-long classes each week at the gym. Before working out, I change my clothes and shoes and tie my hair into a ponytail. My daytime clothes are different from my workout clothes; I wouldn't be able to go straight from school or work to the gym without changing. I don't play tag, hang upside down, or dig holes with my bare hands on a daily basis anymore.

I miss when all my clothes were play clothes.

No comments:

Post a Comment