share buttons

Sunday, April 22, 2012

Walmart: A 6-year-old's "home away from home"

Today in my 1st/2nd grade religious school class we were learning about Israel because Yom HaAtzmaut (Israel's Independence Day) is next week. I was going through a packet with my students that introduced the idea that Israel is the homeland for all Jews, a sort of "home away from home". To help explain this concept, the packet included an activity in which the kids were to draw two pictures, one of their actual home and one of a special "home away from home" that they visit often. We discussed places they could draw such as their grandparents' house or a friend's house. I walked around the room as the kids drew their pictures and asked them to tell me what they drew. One child drew the pool at which she swims several times a week. Another child drew her grandparents' house. As I passed by the desk of one of my 6-year-olds, I glanced at his "home away from home" drawing. He had drawn Walmart!

No comments:

Post a Comment